Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Off Topic: Sign this petition if you're sick of high gas prices (Drill Here. Drill Now. Pay Less)

evodawg wrote:
DanG wrote:

The relatively small puddle of oil won't solve the oil issue.
The availability of crude is not what is driving the price of oil.
Interesting reading if you aren't awa\

Hmmm, interesting seem to have heard that same argument 10-15 years
ago. Can't we just clam any oil found offshore is ours and can only
be sold in this country? Ohh I forgot we dont have any refineries.
Lets just do what we've been doing for the last 30 years, sit on our
ass and hope the problem goes away.

Not really. Oil is fungible. Domestic oil used only in the U.S. is oil that
is not bought on the world market. World demand goes down and the price
follows. Soon it will be cheaper to buy oil at the world price than buy
domestic oil. It all works together.

Let's get the speculators playing on a level field. Let's get
serious about alternative energy sources. Let's get the oil and
other lobbyists out of DC.

sounds good but I'd start by getting the politicians out of
Washington to.

"Speculation" is merely insurance. It is a fundamental rule of business that
you always trade an existing variable price for a fixed one whenever
possible. This allows planning and prevents catastrophic surprises.
"Speculation" is nothing more that the market's decisions on future prices.

Some have been serious about alternative energy sources for many, many
years. In spite of heroic and concentrated efforts, nothing has come CLOSE
to oil in terms of cost and availability.

Lobbyists are the experts. Consider laws on campaign finance reform, done by
the political experts themselves. Do you really want these idiots setting
the tariffs on imported Yak Fat with no input from the World Yak Breeders
Association?