Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default Estimating cost of future HVAC replacement

wrote:
I am doing some retirement planning. I want to estimate the cost and
lifetime of my HVAC system.

I have central gas heat and ac. The is 2 story and about 2300 feet.
The house was built in 1991.

Also, I would like to do some planning for what to expect. How long
do they last?
I see from some other posts that they may want to replace all the duct
work. What should I look at to prepare to replace these systems. Can
I just replace the AC unit or gas furnace, only the part that fails?
Should I do that?

The upstairs unit is rarely used, only when we have company.

The downstairs outside AC unit is a TRANE XE 800 TTJ730A100B0.
Upstairs outside is TRANE XE 800 TTJ724A100B0. My web searchs have
not even turned up the tonnage of these.

You need to get a qualified HVAC technician out to your home and have him do
a detailed report on both of your systems. It should take about 3 hours to
complete a full report to show you which areas of your systems you may have
to replace or repair.
In a general way of thinking if you get 10 years plus on your A/C & Heating
you are doing good.
If I am reading the model numbers correctly the upstairs is 2-ton and
downstairs is 2.5-tons.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info