Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT-143 days

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 20:17:35 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

snip

Just remember, it takes almost twice as much methanol as gasoline to go a
given distance. I think the stoichiometric mixture is something like 8:1,
versus something around 14:1 for gasoline.

Damn, I forgot about that. It's alcohol. I was thinking nitromethane.
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

It's even worse than I remembered. Gasoline is 14.7:1. Methanol is 6.4:1.
Ethanol is 9:1.

Of course, you can run higher compression with alcohol, but it won't make up
much of the difference in fuel usage. Also, you're screwed if you raise
compression to get the most out of alcohol, and then you can't get it.

Nitromethane runs around $40/gallon, BTW. But it's fun while it lasts.

--
Ed Huntress