Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Any suggestions on how to find a good roofer

"calvert" wrote

Thanks for all the inputs. I have an estimate scheduled next week. I got
the company name from a relative who had some work done, but they go the
name from their real estate agent. I think asking my home insurance
company is a good idea too.

Actually the home insurance company is a very good idea. They deal in the
'bottom line' and for them sometimes that means knowing who's work is good
and lasts as well as reasonable in price. They can often tell you at least
in 'general' a price range that would be expected for your area.

Do not be shocked if the 'general price range' doesnt match what they are
allowed to pay for a job. It's often a bit more for the quality work but if
you are real nice, they will 'drop a few hints of names of companies' with
good reputations.

Thats how we found 2 of our contractors and we passed on the name of one
they didnt have after they inspected the work (they were impressed but we
warned them we are long term customers so get a deal on the price).

The 2 they helped us with was a very GOOD chimney repair company (they have
a definate vested interest in preventing fireplace's making them pay out for
a burned down house) and a *reputable* termite control place for a house
with a termite infestation (caught before more than the loss of a baseboard
thank goodness!). It was kinda like 'get estimates but we suggest you at
least get one from 'insert local company franchise' (and we aint dumb, we
could read between the lines).