Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-30 10:38:12 +0100, Roland Perry said:

In message 486806e3@qaanaaq, at 23:04:19 on Sun, 29 Jun 2008, Andy
Hall remarked:
So how much does each person pay purely to fund the NHS
Say, married, paying normal tax, on £30,000/year

Therein lies the problem.....

There is no easy way to determine that. We know that the NHS
spends £90bn per annum. We could calculate the tax in total for the
£30k man. Connect the two? Where are the government numbers for
that?

30m economically active taxpayers[1] means it averages £3k per
taxpayer. That correlates reasonably well with the figures I posted
yesterday that USA pays about twice the UK, and they are running at
about $13k.

[1] Yes, the other 30m also pay VAT and a few other taxes, but probably
in relatively small amounts.

I wouldn't regard 17.5% of most of what is purchased as relatively small

To make a comparison, one has to look at all taxation, not just the a
la carte version.