Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-30 00:39:39 +0100, Frank Erskine
said:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:50:51 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2008-06-29 23:39:29 +0100, Frank Erskine
said:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:20:29 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

It doesn't matter. The market determines the price. People are
willing to pay for private dentistry. That results in the income
level. Comparing with something else is a nonsense.

Andy -

AFAICR, _every_ one of your postings refers to money. Is your life so
sad that it's driven purely by it?

Absolutely not.

It would seem absolutely so...

Impressions can be misleading

It is a convenient form of exchange and comparison only.

Comparing what with what?

The discussion has been about healthcare and how it operates. A
cursory glance through the NICE web site (the professional areas, not
the patient one) or a large prportion of clinical papers resulting
from research in the NHS environment will show that it is very largely
about money and how to spread it around. Of course, this isn't
widely advertised. The marketing machine would seek to have us all
convinced that it's all wonderful and getting better and even that we
should be grateful for what we get.

One approach to this is to allow personal responsibility to be
abrogated to the government, pay taxes and be fatalistic about it.
This is what the majority of people actually do. I touched on
education and the story is essentially the same there.

I happen to think that these issues are way too important to the
individual to entrust the government with them.

I can find information about clinical practice and outcome from a
variety of places. Some of the information is digital (did the patient
die or not) while some is analogue (was there an improvement to
symptoms and quality of life). I can find infection rates and so on.

The finances are inevitably part of this equation. They are not a be
all and end all, simply a means of measurement and exchange.

I don't see them in a greater or less way. I could describe a
scenario in terms of what do I have to do in order to achieve X; but
this becomes unnecessarily complicated.