Posted to alt.home.repair
Calab Calab is offline

Default replacing normal breaker with AFCI breaker

| AFCI protection is for bedrooms, until the 2008 code kicks in, GFCI
| protection is for bathrooms.- Hide quoted text -

| But it won't hurt anything to be above code right? The two provide
| different types of protection. I've got the gfci covered

| Please, what *is* an AFCI? (First time I've seen that name.)
|
| And how does it differ from a GFCI?

AFCI - Arc fault circuit interruptor. Breaks the circuit if it notices an
arc situation, such as a worn power cord allowing hot to contact live. A
GFCI would not trip under though circumstances. These are mainly to prevent
arcs/sparks that start fires.

GFCI - Ground fault circuit interruptor. Breaks the circuit if it notices a
differencial between hot and live, meaning power is leaking to ground
someplace up the circuit. These are mainly to prevent shocking people.