Ronald Raygun

Default New Electrical Regs - Again

derek wrote:

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 14:02:47 GMT, Ronald Raygun
wrote:

If you don't (ever) use this car for non-business purposes, then
you can ask your employer to forbid you to use it except for
business. Then it becomes "not available" for private use and
should not count as a benefit and not be taxed as income.

I tried that, the accountant said the IR wouldn't wear it (I'm the
MD).

But I don't know that he actually went to the trouble of asking !

He shouldn't need to ask, but he should be able to tell you why.
Maybe it's because, as the boss, you can forbid yourself private
use, but could equally well re-permit it at the drop of a hat.

It seems to me that, provided your office is at home, so there is
no possibility of commuting involved, then if you actually have your
own separate car for private use, then a good case can be made for
treating the business car as business-only.

In any case, wouldn't it be cheaper to run the business car privately
and charge mileage rates to your business?