Posted to alt.consumers.pest-control,alt.home.repair
JayN JayN is offline

Default Wasps nesting under slanted wood trim on gable side of building

The slanted piece of wood I'm talking about is outside the building on
the gable end. It is parallel to the rafters of the roof, but the
siding was slid underneath it. Is that the fly rafter, or just a
piece of wood trim? The roof does extend outover that piece of wood.
Not sure if that wood is holding anything up though, since it is
further out than the siding. Is a fly rafter something that holds
the roof up, or is it just a piece of slanted wood trim?

It looks like when they installed the siding, the siding was slid
underneath that piece of wood. The gap I am referring to is between
that piece of wood and the siding. You can see the gap when looking
upward from the side of the building. The bees are putting up paper
nests there which are protected from the rain. It is very hard to
see the nest, because the slanted piece of wood conceals them. You
really have to be looking carefully up into the gap to see the nests.

Is it okay to leave them be, or should I insist the bees be
exterminated, and the gap sealed off afterward?

Thanks,

J.

You block off the gap after the 2nd or 3rd hard frost, if you get frosts
in your area, and don't want to pay for an exterminator. Wasps (the kind
that build mud nests) are a PITA to grounds crew, kids, pets, etc, but
seldom do actual damage. Other flying things, like bees, or the flying
things that bore holes to nest in, can get in the wall and trash the
place. I would definitely bring this to the attention of the association
or the management company. Likely they have an exterminator on retainer.
Is this an actual gap between trim boards, or are they just hanging a
nest behind the shadow line of the fly rafter, out of the rain? Take a
walk and look at the other roof ends in the complex. Do they all have
the gap you are referring to, or did the finish carpenter just make a
boo-boo on your building? *If you have a camera that can zoom in,
pictures are always useful to turn in with the report, otherwise you may
have to actually show somebody in person.

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -