Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default GFI Question

"Patch" wrote in message
I have a GFI installed at our lily pool. The pumps are the only things
running off it. I ran a line out to my tool shed and according to the
instructions for the GFI, the shed should also be protected by the GFI. The
other day I went out to the tool shed, the grass was wet with dew and I was
just wearing house slippers, I suspect my feet were slightly damp. I
grabbed the power cord of a battery charger to unplug it. Apparently mice
had chewed the insulation on the cord and I grabbed the bare wire and got
knocked on my butt. Why didn't the GFI protect me?

Two possibilities: The GFCI is defective, or GFCI devices trip when a fault
current is leaked to ground. If the hot and neutral wires were bare, and you
touched only them, and no ground, you'll simply stand there and fry, and the
GFCI won't do a thing for you