Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-29 18:41:16 +0100, geoff said:

In message 4867c494@qaanaaq, Andy Hall writes
It would be better to encourage more people to stretch themselves and
to achieve higher earning potential provided that they are actually
creating wealth and/or benefit to their customers.

I think you are living in cloud cuckoo land with remarks like that

I disagree. If that were the case, there would be no new businesses
(there are) and no new opportunities. I prefer to think of glasses
being half full.

Employers tend to pay what they can get away with paying - it's called
market forces

I agree.

, and a lot of people are already stretched or aren't going to get a
higher salary whatever they do

I disagree. There are always options. Ultimately, they are limited
by the individual and what they are willing to do and to risk.

then there are others who aren't going to push themselves harder

All I can say to that is that achievement requires effort and commitment.

Then there are e.g. shell drivers, nurses, teachers, police etc who
see their wages being eroded and put in for higher wages which ends up
with strikes for more pay which pushes up inflation - which erodes the
dentists' differential so they have even more grounds to say they can't
afford to perform NHS work - wage spirals

Market correction.

not everyone lives to work

True, actually of most people. Equally, some people want 35 hour weeks
while others are willing to do rather more if needed to achieve their
objectives.