Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bought a clausing 13x36 lathe today

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:12:34 -0500, Ignoramus5355
wrote:

Followup to my earlier question to the newsgroup about lathe rust etc

Stopped by the seller today.

That Clausing Colchester lathe that I was asking about, I think looks
worse on photos:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

than it is actually is. The thin layer of rust looks especially bad
due to presence of dried gunk and woodworking dust. There is a lot of
dust and gunk on the ways and they are not actually rusted. But the
sides are.

The father of the owner is a woodworker, who uses his Bridgeport mill
to machine wood. Hence the wood dust. No ****.

I have not been able to ascertain how worn the lathe is. It may be
worn or it may not be worn. Haven't a clue.

The gears and stuff, look OK.

It is either 13x36, or 13x40.

Its a 13x36, with a spindle nose big enough for 5c collets, though you
need the insert to hold the collets, and a handwheel and drawtube or
lever actuated collet closer. I made up a handwheel and long draw
tube.

There is a ****load of tooling, extra chuck, dogs, and so on included
with it. All with some rust, though, but after 2 hours of wirebrushing
most rust on the tooling will be gone. The machine itself will be
harder.

Spray it down with PBlaster..and go damned easy with that wire brush.
Use a brass one after the Blaster has had a chance to soak in.

It is a geared lathe, not varidrive. It seemed to turn when the belt
was pulled and engaged the clutch.

Yes, it IS a gear head. And it will cut a chip that will make your
eyes bug out.

It looks exactly like pictures he

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25121

The best matching picture from http://www.lathes.co.uk is this:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page2.html

the picture is this one

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/img0.gif

I believe that it pictures a lathe that is identical to mine. Could
not find any difference.

There is enough electrics in the back to make me suspect that the
motor may be 2 speed.

It is. that lever with the red knob is the forward/reverse,. the
smaller lever is high/low range.

The price was $425.

you SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The motor looks very big, maybe 3 or 5 HP. I hope that it is 3 HP as I
have a 3.7 kW VFD that could run it.

Its 3hp.

Anyway, I paid with check and I will pick up in perhaps 2-3 weeks. The
sellers looked nice enough that I trusted them with the money, and I
took some parts of the lathe with me.

Meanwhile I will clear out my garage and make a platform on casters
to move it around. (those heavy duty casters from the Bridgeport
bed). Their garage is also godawfully messy and casters are a must to
maneuver it.

Iggy..this lathe NEEDS to be mounted flat on the floor. Its NOT a
portable. Sorry..if you need a portable, buy a Unimat.

It WILL twist. trust me on this.
I have a question for now.

What is the weight of it?

About 1600 lbs

Check the hatch under the center of the lathe, the face plates were
normally stored in there

gunner

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal