Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Is this lathe a good restoration candidate?

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:44:51 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Ohhhhh..... The 4-jaw has a bunch of rust on the bottom that
makes it look possible that the chip tray filled with water.
The rust on everything else looks pretty bad, like 20 years in
an unheated garage. If you intend to have the bed ground, then
go for it. I have real doubts about it ever being a usable
lathe without that or a LOT of manual effort.

thats a Chipmaster, one of the finest lathes IMHO ever made.

I own one..a 13x36. Hardened ways...that someone used a tool post
grinder on without covering the ways...cuts a .003 taper per the 8
inches closest to the headstock.

The guy I loaned it to, is using it for pumping unit bushings..works
just fine for his application.

Id check the lathe for operation, making sure everything is working
normally (if no power feed, pull the end cover on the headstock, and
there is a small (16 penny nail diameter) shear pin under the knurled
knob on the primary shaft)

That surface rust may or may not have effected anything. Id bet it
hasnt harmed it a bit, except cosmetically.

Now what the previous wear and tear did to the machine...only good
testing will tell.

It looks to be complete, with the proper steady and follower rests,
the proper L00 spanner and tooling.

The data lable in the knee panel..on the door that opens to the
coolant tank underneith, has the size of the machine printed on it, if
you clean off the spooge.

Im going to say its likely to be like mine..a 13x36

Id not turn it down because of its looks at all.

They are simple to operate, rugged, convient to run

gunner

I know something about massive lathe rebuilds, as I did one b
hand on a 15" Sheldon. It was worth it, as it is now a FINE
toolroom lathe, but it took something like 22 months! (It was
nice aerobic exercise, though.)

Jon

at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal