Posted to alt.home.repair
CompleteNewb CompleteNewb is offline

Default Major list of room renovations, what should come first?

We have a 1929 home w/ plaster walls. We need to CAREFULLY remove the
current hardwood floor, possibly shim or replace some joists, replace the
subfloor, and CAREFULLY reinstall and refinish the hardwood floor. We also
need to re-inforce the fireplace mantel from underneath (it looks like they
just used a wood box to hold it, looking up at it from the basement) with
metal brackets. In the room of the floor being refinished, we need to
replace really old wiring (we were told by a DIY electrician guy we could do
it without tearing the wall out, by fishing new wire around tied to the old
wire as we pull it out, or by fishing the wire around with fishing tools or
whatever), and we might need to blow insulation either from the outside or
the inside. We also need to paint the room.

What order should these things be done? I know the obvious ones, like paint
after the wiring is done, but it seems like some other things could go
either way. The fireplace guy said we need to do the mantel last, but a
floor guy said we need to have the mantel done first, etc. Plus an
insulation guy said do the floor first, but then a different insulation guy
said do the floor afterwards. I've had a really hard time getting any local
professionals to say the same thing, so I've kind of lost my trust in them,
and can also no longer afford to pay people to come here and inspect things
and give me completely different answers than the last guy.

Any thoughts would help and be appreciated.

And by the way, I'm a new homeowner with very little money and no
experience, so I'll probably be posting on here a LOT. So if I break any
rules of posting or whatever, please let me know.

Thanks again.