Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Bought a clausing 13x36 lathe today

"Ignoramus5355" wrote in message
Followup to my earlier question to the newsgroup about lathe rust etc

Stopped by the seller today.

That Clausing Colchester lathe that I was asking about, I think looks
worse on photos:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

than it is actually is. The thin layer of rust looks especially bad
due to presence of dried gunk and woodworking dust. There is a lot of
dust and gunk on the ways and they are not actually rusted. But the
sides are.

The father of the owner is a woodworker, who uses his Bridgeport mill
to machine wood. Hence the wood dust. No ****.

I have not been able to ascertain how worn the lathe is. It may be
worn or it may not be worn. Haven't a clue.

The gears and stuff, look OK.

It is either 13x36, or 13x40.

There is a ****load of tooling, extra chuck, dogs, and so on included
with it. All with some rust, though, but after 2 hours of wirebrushing
most rust on the tooling will be gone. The machine itself will be
harder.

It is a geared lathe, not varidrive. It seemed to turn when the belt
was pulled and engaged the clutch.

It looks exactly like pictures he

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25121

The best matching picture from http://www.lathes.co.uk is this:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/page2.html

the picture is this one

http://www.lathes.co.uk/colchester/img0.gif

I believe that it pictures a lathe that is identical to mine. Could
not find any difference.

There is enough electrics in the back to make me suspect that the
motor may be 2 speed.

The price was $425.

The motor looks very big, maybe 3 or 5 HP. I hope that it is 3 HP as I
have a 3.7 kW VFD that could run it.

Anyway, I paid with check and I will pick up in perhaps 2-3 weeks. The
sellers looked nice enough that I trusted them with the money, and I
took some parts of the lathe with me.

Meanwhile I will clear out my garage and make a platform on casters
to move it around. (those heavy duty casters from the Bridgeport
bed). Their garage is also godawfully messy and casters are a must to
maneuver it.

I have a question for now.

What is the weight of it?

I've got a Clausing-Colchester brochure with a 13x36 lathe that looks
similar but nor identical to yours and it says the weight was 1410 lbs.
They came standard with eiher a single speed 1-1/2 HP or two speed 1-1/2-3
HP motor. Model numbers were 65## with both straight bed and gap bed
versions available, where the "##" differed according to bed length, motor
size and speed, and gap or no gap.

Mike