Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default slurry coat driveway

"old dirtbeard" wrote in message
My driveway is about five years old and getting "dry," starting to crack,
etc. It is over 4,000 sq.ft, though, has "curbs," so the estimates I have
are over a thousand dollars to patch and slurry seal. I was just hoping
that it is more like a once every five years rather than every two years.

We live on a private road where the neighborhood organization pays to
slurry coat our road, the city slurry coats the streets here, so maybe as
hallerb noted, we get a lot of UV here in SoCal and it could be cooking
the life out of the asphalt.

best,

OD

wrote in message
On Jun 28, 2:39?pm, "Bob M." wrote:
"old dirtbeard" wrote in message

Generally speaking, how often should one do this? (newer asphalt drive
in
SoCal)

thank you, OD

Never. ?Parent's driveway has never been coated, and it was installed 27
years ago. They live near Buffalo NY.

california has little freeze thaw, but likely sun damage.

UV can be tough on everything.

to me its cheap insurance

We do reserve studies for homeowner's associations. It is typical to have
slurry coat applied every five years. But that is for a residential
property with heavy traffic. Also, the techniques used as well as the
materials have a great deal to do with how long it lasts.

A lot of them now are going to the new process called open grade paving of
shaving the top inch or so of paving, mixing it with some new goop and
relaying it all in one process. It improves the ability of the paving to
shed water, and has better UV protection. Surprisingly, it is cheaper, too.

Steve

Steve