Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Paulsen Mike Paulsen is offline

Default Fix cracked joint compound

wrote:
(snip)

only off by
about 1/8". I applied tape and drywall compound to make up the
difference. Pretty much as soon as it dried, it was cracked all
over. The cracks look like a spider web pattern (pretty much
random).

Premixed all-purpose (and to a lesser extent, lightweight) joint
compound will shrink as it dries. If you put on too heavy a coat you can
get cracks in the compound as you describe, although I wouldn't expect
it to occur at 1/8" thick.

If the mud seems to be well adhered and otherwise sound, applying
another coat of mud (or two) should take care of the problem. There's no
need to apply tape or mesh.