Posted to alt.home.repair
jack[_8_] jack[_8_] is offline

Default Anyone knowledgable about water filters?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"jack" wrote in message
At garage sales recently I bought a sand filter and a 20" narrow filter
housing (it takes two 10" narrow filters). The sand filter flushes
easily, and I have a lot of sand.

If I pulled the 10" narrow 20 micron filter and replaced it with the 20"
narrow 20 micron filter and the sand filter would you expect my flow to
go up? I am figuring the sand filter shouldn't change much except to
keep the first filter cleaner, and the 20" should have less resistance
than the 10".

It would involve a fair amount of work, but better flow would be nice.
And I sure don't want to do it and find the flow is worse for some reason
I failed to anticipate.

I'd be more concerned about bacteria growing in the sand than filtration
or flow. Is this a pool filter or is it certified for use with potable
water? You may be adding a serious health risk.

Actually a sand filter is coarse prefilter that filters out the sand, of
which I have quite a bit. It is easily cleaned and should keep the first
filter from loading up on sand.