Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Filter material for PC fans and cases????

In message , N_Cook
writes
GMAN wrote in message
Anyone know where to find the foam material that is used for filters. The

kind
you would use behind computer fans and the like to catch dust. I need to

make
some custom filters for a few 120mm fans, Is there some place that sells

it by
the sheet or rolls?

A get-by idea if you can't find the real mccoy, that part-melted fibrous
plastic kitchen pan scourer cloth

That's exactly what I use.

My PC tower had two fans - an extractor at the back (for the PSU at the
top of the tower) and a 'sucker-in' a bit lower down. I turned the lower
one around so that it was also an extractor, and added a 'sucker-in' on
the front (the case was already drilled to take a fan). I then blocked
up as much as I reasonably could of all the other holes and slots in the
case, the idea being that the only way for the air to get in would be
via the front fan. Finally, I jammed a piece of pan scourer (about 5
inches square and 3/4 inch thick) between the plastic front cover (which
has some fancy vents hidden near the bottom) and the part of the front
of the case where the fan is.

Every couple of weeks, I simply pull off the front cover, remove the pan
scourer filter, and remove the dust (and then, of course, replace it).
The amount of dirt on the filter is absolutely unbelievable.
--
Ian