Posted to rec.woodworking
Jason[_4_] Jason[_4_] is offline

Default Forstner bits

Swingman wrote:
"Jason" wrote

Yet, I had skate issues when the main body dug in, all probably due to
RPM speed. My Dewalt doesn't have a lot of inbetween (14.4V 1/2" chuck,
older model. It's either not enough, or too much.)

That was my experience. I'll stick to using them in a drill press.. OR
using them in a different drill.

If they skate on you out of the box, what you're experiencing is mostly the
result of poor quality. Not surprising as Rockler's hardware quality seems
to have suffered since the advent of importing.

Next time you need a good Forstner of modern design (with the center spur),
try the "Bormax" or "Famag" brands (you can now get both from WoodCraft):

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyId=1917

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyId=778

Cool, appreciate that info. I don't often find myself needing forstners
(I'm just getting back into the swing of things, as it were), but the
next time I need to do a bunch I'll invest in a couple of those.

Thanks!

Jason Buckler
Marietta, GA