Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Rod Rod is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-06-28 09:13:46 +0100, Rod said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I don't suppose that that is in the training course and if loads
really are being trained up, one would expect the market dynamics to
reduce the price points. Unless, of course the reality is that the
economic rate is not overcharging the public.

But the first reaction might be for them to increase the amount of
work/number of services they provide - and push them hard.

I have never found that to happen in 30 years of using a variety of
different private dentists. Never once has unnecessary treatment been
offered or taken. I have asked for information and that has been
given. That is a sample size of four patients and four dentists,
but it would be surprising if they treated other patients differently.

And another problem is that it is extremely difficult to price compare
dentists. I really can't imagine them being willing to give a firm
quote for anything without doing their own examination - for which
they will naturally charge.

I've never had a problem with that. It's certainly possible to
obtain a range of prices for common treatments.

Besides which, something as important as healthcare shouldn't be bought
on price.

Prices for a range of common treatments have a horrible habit of
becoming the prices on which comparisons are made. This puts downward
pressure onto those prices - but allows the other prices to drift
upward, sometimes (often?) unnoticed - and possible unknowably.

Not bought on price alone, I would agree.

But not taking it into account? That truly is giving carte blanche for
the dentist to charge what they like.

--
Rod

onset.