Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default Found crack in cylindrical part inside A/C condenser unit

JayN wrote:
Can't see or test it through my computer screen... and my crystal
ball is in for repair.- Hide quoted text -

We would not be having this conversation if I had not noticed what is
shown in the photos. Do the photos reveal that something is seriously
wrong with the part or is it just a crack in the paint as someone else
had suggested?

Thanks,

J.

JayN;

The part is a suction line accumulator which was / is prevalent in Carrier's
product line during the 1980's 38TH------301 comes to mind. Aluminum coil,
MD Carlyle compressor....

The accumulator has sweated so much [from being overcharge with refrigerant]
that the paint, has let go and rust is setting in. [Steel vessel]. Soon,
it will start leaking refrigerant.

Your best bet? Call your local HVAC contractor [licensed and insured] and
get a bid for replacement of the complete system. Upgrading will cut your
electrical use [when the air conditioning is on] comparatively in half. The
EER of those earlier units was in the 9.5's - the newer stuff to day is much
more efficient.

--
Zyp