Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe John Doe is offline

Default Which screws for this project?

John Martin wrote:

It may be the perspective, but that big wheel seems as though it
might rub on the boot.

At idle, there is a tiny clearance between the wheel and the boot. I
was considering sanding/filing a notch in the very thick plastic
boot, but the wheel made a smooth notch by itself. I guess the metal
flexes upwards too.

I don't know a thing about those skates, but wonder if it might
make sense to make that wheel higher than the others?

That was my first plan, thinking it would further increase the
obstacle surmounting capability of the front end. A competing
concern is that the main benefit of an in-line skate with at least
three wheels (on the street) is its ability to span small potholes
without the front or rear wheel dropping into the hole. The current
same-level placement helps the small second wheel roll over
obstacles.

For what it's worth, the design complexities of in-line skate wheel
size/hardness/placement are more than meets the mortal eye. Much
fun.

That way, it wouldn't interfere with normal skating but would
still guide the skates up and over obstacles when you hit them.

I did 9 miles this morning. Seems okay so far. Street skating isn't
normal anyways.

Thanks to all of the replies.