Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default Target unit pricing - Here's the real point

In ,
sarge137 wrote in part:

On Jun 27, 1:02*am, Jack Bauer wrote:
the zak wrote:
Target unit pricing shelf labels for paper goods like paper
towels and toilet tissue list the unit price per 100 sheets
instead of per 100 square feet as do other stores.
It's inaccurate. Sheet sizes vary. Converting unit pricing
from per 100 sheets to per 100 square feet is difficult
to do in the aisle of the Target store.

I have been in several different stores trying to figure out the unit
pricing on bottled water. *They will have all different sizes and
brands, but in the end they are all just bottles containing water,
right? *But the unit pricing is by the each, liter, ounce, you name it!
* Whatever units they can come up with to make it all more confusing.
You can't compare.

Interesting. We shop at two different stores on a regular basis. A
Kroger chain store and a military commissary. In both cases every
beverage (water, soft drinks, fruit juice, etc) they sell is unit
priced per ounce, regardless of the packaging or volume of the
package. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a unit price shelf
label that wasn't expressed per pound or ounce so long as the label on
the product is expressed in those terms (which is pretty much
everything on their shelves).

I have seen the supermarket nearest my day job have all the unit prices
for all sizes and versions of one brand of dish detergent with unit
pricing per ounce, and all unit prices for all sizes and versions of
another brand unit priced per quart.

I buy my dish detergent elsewhere. I don't even know if that
supermarket changed to all dish detergent unit prices being on the same
unit within the past 5-6 years or not. However, several hundred people
living within 3 blocks of this place are elderly or disbled or both along
with not having cars, and I wonder what percentage of such low mobility
people can multiply or divide by 32 in their heads.
Many college students who live within walking distance of that
supermarket 8-9 months a year also don't have cars, and I suspect many of
those also can't multiply or divide by 32 in their heads.
(Thankfully I can well enough very proficiently and quickly
multiply/divide in my head all numbers that are "pretty much the powers
of the 6th root of 2 and 20th root of 10" - "the 1/6 octave numbers" -
which include pi and the square root of 2.)

This sort of BS is one of the reasons why people demand politicians
passing laws telling business operators how to run their businesses. If
businesses (more like the notably verminous subset thereof; there are
plenty of upright and benevolent businesses) did better at playing fair
and doing the right thing, then some lawyers would have to find other
lines of work and the news media would need to become a little less like
vermin than they are now in order to justify their (now very necessary)
existence on serving public good.

- Don Klipstein )