Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default A/C condensate drain

TimR wrote:

I think the proscription is simply to keep water not needing
treatment out of municipal sewage systems to hold down the volume
needing treatment. Not a major amount in comparison to other
sources, but it would add up if everybody did so...

--

No, I don't think that's the reason. This is a technical definition
problem, at least in the jurdisdictions where I've worked.

Condensate from any source is "non contact process water" and process
water is not allowed into a sanitary sewer (or storm sewer, for that
matter) without going through an industrial pretreatment first.

I don't think you're going to get around that with the building
inspector, though you and he both know it's kind of silly in this
case.

Isn't that backwards? What understandable references I find to "non contact
process water" (as in condensate from cooling towers) imply that it is
essentially pure water and should be protected from contaminants, not the
reverse.