Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default Forstner bits

On Jun 27, 12:53*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"John Martin" wrote

"Just because someone calls/sells a bit as a "forstner", does not make
it so." *I agree, but then I am so naive. *If you bother re-reading my
post, however, you'll see that the companies I mentioned were making
Forstner bits well over 100 years ago, under license from Benjamin
Forstner - the inventor. *That's not a Forstner bit?

I stand corrected ... mea culpa.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Takes a man to say that, Swingman. Pax.

I'll admit myself that I didn't know of Ben Forstner's later idea of a
center point. I've never seen a Forstner with one large enough to
keep it on center. I have sawtooth bits with large center points, but
I wouldn't call those Forstners.

Of the Forstners that I have that do have the center points, they are
handy in visually centering a spinning bit on a mark, but that's about
it.

John Martin