Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT-143 days

"RB" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"RB" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"RB" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Do I have this straight?

His father was a black African Muslim from Kenya.
[snip]

Wow. Is this your writing? Nice set of talking points either way.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Nope, somebody sent it to me but, although it's not flattering to
Obama, it shows some points of consideration, most of which is
irrefutable. And, like Gunner points out, is 143 days as a Senator
enough experience to lead the country? He's an empty suit.
How many days did Ronald Reagan serve in national office, either in
the Senate or the Post Office, before becoming president? I'd ask the
same about George Bush, but that wouldn't make the point. d8-). How
about Eisenhower?
I would consider military service a good qualifier.
I wouldn't. It has nothing to do with governing a democratic state. If
anything, it's counterproductive. See Grant, Ulysses S., or Jackson,
Andrew. g
I didn't say it was the ONLY qualifier, but it's a good start.

I don't know about Reagan, but at least he was employed in the private
sector. i.e earned an honest living
So did Obama. The claim that he wasn't employed in the private sector
is only made by people so blindingly biased that they won't even read
his biography.
Community organizer and practiced as a civil rights attorney, taught
law. None of these involved executive skills.

Let's see. Barack Obama, employment in the private sector: Business
International Corp.; attorney at Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland;
founder and chairman of the board of Chicago Annenberg Challenge; board
member of several other philanthropic and civil rights organizations.

John McCain, employment in the private sector: One year working for his
wife's father's Budweiser distributorship.

Sheesh...

Come one, Ed, you of all people I would expect to be evenhanded here.
How can you possibly think that is an equitable portrayal of their
respective resumes?

That wasn't the issue. What you said was that "at least [Reagan] was
employed in the private sector," and then, when it was pointed out that
Obama had worked in the private sector for Business International and as an
attorney, you switched the field to "executive skills," for which Obama was
an executive for several organizations, including founder and chairman of
one, while McCain was a mid-level military officer.

Where are you switching the field to now, RB?

I have no love lost for McCain, but his resume is about as impressive as
any candidate for the office in my lifetime.

What in the hell are you talking about? Navy captain with no sea command?
Good job, but a couple of levels down. Senator? Not an executive position.

The closest comparable resume is JFK, except McCain has a couple decades
more experience.
OTOH, Obama's is the weakest. I am just amazed he has gotten as far as
he has. I think it's a sad reflection on the American electorate -or
perhaps the public education system.

You sure don't sound very centrist here.
I suspect you are more like the rest of us, in that no matter where your
views fall in the political spectrum, you see yourself as centrist.

Try knocking McCain and see what happens. d8-)

I said earlier that I'm favoring Obama at this point, but I want to watch
carefully through the rest of the campaign. I'm sure about Obama on foreign
policy but not yet sure about domestic.

I like both of these guys. I just think that McCain's locked into some
Republican postures that would be disastrous. For example, continuing these
tax cuts while we're running deficits is close to insanity, but McCain won't
be able to make any significant reductions in the budget as long as this war
continues. That could just bury our economy in another few years.

What I see is a lot of justification for decisions already made. I'm not so
interested in defending Obama as in correcting some of the record (a futile
thing when people ignore the fact that McCain has no experience in the
private sector, and then criticize Obama for having little of it...are we
all paying attention here?). Most of all, I like to reflect on the fact that
I'm not hearing the sounds of people rolling over the options. I'm hearing
the sounds of people justifying their purchases. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress