Posted to uk.d-i-y
Melange Melange is offline

Default water feature on top of a wall

On 27 Jun, 17:37, Bruce wrote:

In preliminary costing, allow for something like A193 steel mesh
reinforcement in the wall, located in the centre. You should not need
to reinforce the base slab. You should also provide one expansion
joint in the middle of the wall and two contraction joints at the
quarter points, otherwise the wall will crack and possibly distort.
The need for an expansion joint would mean casting the wall in two
halves on different days, with a suitable compressible joint filler
being placed against the end of the completed first pour and the
second pour cast against it. It would be advisable to cast in some
smooth steel locating dowels to keep the two pours aligned, one half
of each dowel to be uncoated and cast into the first pour, the other
half thickly and evenly coated with bitumen and cast into the second
pour.

Ok....... that sounds complicated!

I must admit in my mind it went like this:
Make foundation, put re-bars in it, make wall shape from ply, pour
concrete into said shape, wait 24hours, remove ply and hey there
stands a wall, I never for one instant tought a structural engineer
would be needed . just as well I asked

So I guess it might have to be blocks after all ...........