Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
sarge137 sarge137 is offline

Default Target unit pricing - Here's the real point

On Jun 27, 1:02*am, Jack Bauer wrote:
the zak wrote:
Target unit pricing shelf labels for paper goods like paper
towels and toilet tissue list the unit price per 100 sheets
instead of per 100 square feet as do other stores.
It's inaccurate. Sheet sizes vary. Converting unit pricing
from per 100 sheets to per 100 square feet is difficult
to do in the aisle of the Target store.

I have been in several different stores trying to figure out the unit
pricing on bottled water. *They will have all different sizes and
brands, but in the end they are all just bottles containing water,
right? *But the unit pricing is by the each, liter, ounce, you name it!
* Whatever units they can come up with to make it all more confusing.
You can't compare.

Interesting. We shop at two different stores on a regular basis. A
Kroger chain store and a military commissary. In both cases every
beverage (water, soft drinks, fruit juice, etc) they sell is unit
priced per ounce, regardless of the packaging or volume of the
package. In fact, I don't remember ever seeing a unit price shelf
label that wasn't expressed per pound or ounce so long as the label on
the product is expressed in those terms (which is pretty much
everything on their shelves). Even the OTC drugs they sell are unit
labeled per dose.

I guess I don't understand the compulsion to buy what's cheapest visa-
a-vis what's best (a matter of personal opinion). In most cases you'd
have to buy in pretty large quantities for the difference to matter
much. For example: We eat canned albacore tuna packed in water. Our
regular grocery store carries three national brands. We've tried all
of them, and I personally see no difference, but my wife has a
preference which happens to be the most expensive. The price per
ounce between the cheapest and most expensive is about 15 percent.
Not enough to matter given the volume of the stuff we buy. She buys
what she likes.

And the WHOLE POINT of unit pricing, as they told us back in the 70's,
is that it SHOULD NOT take a college grad with a slide rule or
calculator to figure this stuff out. *You should be able to look at all
the similar products and quickly figure out which is cheapest based on
the unit pricing shown on the labels.

Absolutely right! But, another example of a feel good law with no
real intention of enforcement. Take a look at some of the discussions
of the National Do Not Call Registry you can find in the groups.

But you can't. *So who do we contact to enforce the unit pricing laws?

Your best bet would be to contact the Consumers Affairs Division of
your state Attorney General's Office. But, unless they've got an axe
to grind with the business for other reasons don't expect much
response