Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Forstner bits

"John Martin" wrote in message
On Jun 26, 7:08 am, "Swingman" wrote:
"John Martin" wrote

So.. my answer is "No, they ain't ment to be used in a drill."

(For reference, I was using a Rockler steel - not carbon - forstner

bit.)

Jason Buckler

They're not meant to be used in a hand-held drill only because there
is no central point to locate the bit. If you don't hold them
perfectly straight - and sometimes even if you do - they can skate all
over the workpiece.

Then your not talking about a "Forstner" bit ... proper Forstner bits

indeed
have a point, which is called the "gimlet point", as named by the man who
invented the bit.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Oh, I most definitely am. The Forstners I use are almost all by

Don't be so naive. Just because someone calls/sells a bit as a "forstner",
does not make it so.

Once again, a true "Forstner" bit, BY DESIGN, has a point to guide the
center of the initial drilling. This is an inarguable FACT, deal with it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08