Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5355 Ignoramus5355 is offline

Default Is this lathe a good restoration candidate?

On 2008-06-27, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus5355 wrote:
Someone wants to sell it, supposedly a 12x48 Clausing. Looks a little
too rusted to my taste.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Clausing-Lathe/

Has anyone ever restored lathes in similar condition, how much time
did it take?

Ohhhhh..... The 4-jaw has a bunch of rust on the bottom that
makes it look possible that the chip tray filled with water.
The rust on everything else looks pretty bad, like 20 years in
an unheated garage. If you intend to have the bed ground, then
go for it. I have real doubts about it ever being a usable
lathe without that or a LOT of manual effort.

I know something about massive lathe rebuilds, as I did one b
hand on a 15" Sheldon. It was worth it, as it is now a FINE
toolroom lathe, but it took something like 22 months! (It was
nice aerobic exercise, though.)

Would not want something that I could not do in a week. I have enough
projects as it stands. I finally cleaned up the garage enough to work
on installing the DRO on the mill, for example.

I will talk to her, maybe I can see it tonight or tomorrow. If it is
light rust and she can agree to a low price, I will get the lathe. The
plan was to clean it and install a VFD. I have some 5 HP VFDs with
somewhat broken enclosures, that are hard to sell but will do well inside
a lathe like this.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/