Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Demise of Ebay?

On 2008-06-27 11:12:20 +0100, "Chris Shore" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message news:48647258@qaanaaq...

Most people who are high enough up in the business world tend to have a
sufficiently high level command of English that I'm sure that the odd
occasion when there could be a misunderstanding could be flagged up and
further explanation given

Logically one would think that. I've found it to be rather different.
Certainly in large organisations in other countries it is typical that the
very top management will speak good English if the company is a
multinational as well. Otherwise they can often be of an age where they
didn't learn English earlier in life and haven't needed to.

This is true. However, there are very important and significant cultural
differences as well. Far Eastern and Indian cultures are much more
"people-oriented" than we are and place far higher value on relationships.

That's true in Europe as well but is apparent in different ways
according to culture.

You are very unlikely to win serious business with, for example, a Japanese
company unless you have taken the time to build a relationship with
the boss, been to dinner with him, attended to all his questions. Not
travelling to meet with him in person would haveyou written off
immediately as rude and not interested in the business. He will go with
someone else who can be bothered to go and see him. I have to
say I think he would be right!

I completely agree, and actually where there are large amounts of money
involved initially or over time, this is important evertywhere.

Dealing with non-English speakers can also be very difficult when
not face-to-face. Misunderstandings are much more common. It is
also much more embarrassing to have to ask someone to keep saying
something on the phone than in person. This makes meetings awkward
for both parties and unproductive.

Yes, agreed.