Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Curt Welch Curt Welch is offline

Default Inexpensive but worthwhile wirefeed?

Ned Simmons wrote:
On 26 Jun 2008 04:31:25 GMT, (Curt Welch) wrote:

Aluminum conducts heat away from the weld faster than steel so it takes
more heat to weld aluminum than steel for the same size material. As
such, the small mig machines (which can't weld very thick steel to begin
with), have any more trouble trying to weld thicker aluminum.

I much prefer TIG for aluminum and my personal plan is to get a machine
like the Miller Dynasty 200 for steel and aluminum (TIG and Stick).

The high heat conductivity of aluminum will also limit that machine to
relatively light material. Welding 3/16 aluminum will be pushing the
welder quite hard. You could probably do 1/4 in a pinch with preheat,
or on small pieces.

Yeah, most my interest is in small robotics projects which should be
limited to about 1/8" so I think it will do ok. If I find it's not cutting
it, I'll just have an excuse to buy more hardware! Thanks for the heads
up.

--
Curt Welch
http://CurtWelch.Com/