Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default seeking air compressor recommendations

On 2008-06-26, Hactar wrote:
In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:

You're no fun. Propane tanks are usually free, add $20 in fittings and it's
BETTER than a commercial air tank.

Where do you get them for free?

The ones which missed getting the "safety" conversion a year or
two ago, perhaps?

Unless you flush it, you run the risk
of inflating your tires with a propane-air mixture.

Of course you flush it.

What I'll probably do is get a dinky electric pump for tire inflation
(slow, within reason, is fine), and an electric drill. Going for a
pneumatic drill would cost me way too much for the compressor.

Before you purchase one of the small ones, ask to listen to it
running at the store. Most of the ones the size of the pancake style
are *very* noisy. If they won't demonstrate it for you, it is almost
certain that it *is* too noisy. Look for one of the slower speed ones
with a separate motor and belt. They will be quieter, and will run much
longer before failure.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564