Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_] Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_2_] is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

? "bud--" ?????? ??? ??????
A. K. SEPUT wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
Daniel Who Wants to Know wrote:
Also I am no expert here but I think intermittent loads can exceed the
80% rule hence the 14 gauge cord which would normally only be good for
15 amps but is protected by a 20 amp fuse inside the oven and a 20 amp
double pole circuit breaker in the service panel.
.
The US NEC allows about any cord of 2 conductors (not including ground)
to be used at 18A. Most (all?) cords with type starting H (hard use) can
be used at 20A.

"for short period and with limited lenght"

.
I see neither limitation in the US NEC.
.
The 80% rule is for continuous loads - over 3 hours.

--

Correct. #14 is the same as Europe's 4 mm^2-which we usually use here in
Greece for the regular, 4 kW hot water heaters. It's rated for 20 A

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering