Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default Which screws for this project?

John Doe wrote:
Note: In order to avoid wasting your time, please be advised that
welding is not currently an option here. Thanks for your
understanding.

I like these skates a lot, planning to make slight variations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/

The aluminum flat bar is 1/16" thick from McMaster. Seems springier
than Lowe's aluminum and apparently harder so it doesn't clog my
tools.
snip

Looking at the picture I would toss the aluminum your using. Get some
wider material and make a longer piece that can go along the sides of
the current frame and catch at least one of the existing wheel bolts.
Maybe even use sheet stock and bend it so that it can use the toe area
on the shoe as a brace.

Then on the nose area that you have one screw I would add a second. One
closer to the top and bottom to spread the clamping across the part.
That would give you three total hard connection points. Screw wise I
would use stainless 10-32 and short rivnuts.

I would toss the Super Glue. Get some GOOD epoxy and use that. With
the understanding that the failures you will likely see at the bonded
areas will likely be from aluminum oxide forming under the glue.

Or you could just go buy a pair of the inlines that are sold for off
road use.
http://1800wwsports.stores.yahoo.net/rolcoyoffroa.html
Rollerblade Coyote

--