Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Curt Welch Curt Welch is offline

Default Inexpensive but worthwhile wirefeed?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 26 Jun 2008 04:31:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
(Curt Welch) quickly quoth:

I much prefer TIG for aluminum and my personal plan is to get a machine
like the Miller Dynasty 200 for steel and aluminum (TIG and Stick).
Unlike MIG, you can use one gas (Argon) for both steel and aluminum with
TIG so it's easy to use one machine for both. Of course, decent TIG
machines are in a different price bracket than the small wirefeed units.
I'd like to get a small wirefeed as well but I'd just use it for steel.

I picked up one of the little HFT units and it's great for what it is,
a scratch-starter.

I've stood in the store looking at the unit. It's so damn cheap it's
almost free. Hard to resist. But I know I'll want more so I keep waiting
until I can justify the price of a higher quality one as a new toy or have
some excuse to buy it for a job I have to do.

--
Curt Welch
http://CurtWelch.Com/