Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dubosky[_2_] Dan Dubosky[_2_] is offline

Default Cell Phone -- What remains wet?

"Dan Dubosky" wrote in message
I have now gone through a second cleaning with the Radio Shack Electronics
Cleaner. On the first round, I sprayed, lightly brushed, and sprayed
again, and didn't really notice any discernable change in the rate of
discharge. I guess I envisioned that the solution would dissolve the
contaminated residue without a great deal of brushing.

On the second round, I sprayed, more vigorously brushed, and sprayed
again. After this I did see an improvement. It is probably not 100%
cured, but I think that I am going to live with it as is. I'm afraid that
during one of these sessions, I may create another problem that I didn't
have before. In addition, perhaps the remaining conductive residues will
dissipate with time. Yeh right --- well it's nice to have hope.

Again, thanks to all.

Dan

Many thanks to all of you. The cell phone now appears to be back to normal.
Yesterday, I purchased "denatured alcohol solvent" by a company called
Sunnyside. It was in a well sealed can with a plastic top that had to be
removed, and is said to contain denatured alcohol and less than 4% methanol.
I don't know its purity, but when I stuck my finger in it and it got under
my nail, it really burned.

I completely bathed the main circuit board in this solvent for about one
minute while brushing around the main side of the board. I then let it
completely dry for over 30 minutes, first in the sun and then under an
incandescent light.

I charged the cell phone up last night, and this morning there is no
significant discharge. The large SMT components have a sealant around their
base but many of the smaller components do not have such a sealant. So
moisture could easily have remained under them and within the many push
button switches.

Today is a very humid day so it will be interesting to see how much
discharge occurs.

Again, thanks to all.
Dan