Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default porous bricks

"Rod" wrote in message
John wrote:
wrote:

Nearly every victorian house is built with porous bricke, yet most
dont have a damp problem, and painting the ones that do with sealant
only makes any damp worse. So I doubt both the diagnosis and the
proposed solution.

Ah, but.. it may well be true in our house. Thinking about it there was a
small damp spot in the area where the kitchen and dining room join in the
corner roughly where the damp spot is now. I hacked off the plaster and
replastered it shortly after moving in and it seemed okay. However it may
be that the damp is coming in through the cavity wall and is now being
stopped at the extension and coming in through the ceiling. I could
easily be talking b*ll*cks here though.

For the cost of "painting" the outside wall with waterproof solution and
seeing if the problem goes away it may be worth a go.

But the real cost isn't the painting with waterproof solution - that is
just a few pounds for the stuff. It's what you might have do if it either
doesn't work or, far more significantly, it makes things worse. I doubt
you can remove this stuff without the bricks. :-)

Perhaps try something like a sheet of plastic to protect that area of wall
on a temporary basis to see if it helps?

Wise words. It will do exactly what the sealant will do (including any
problems it may cause) but isn't permanent.

I always feel bricks are bricks and always have been and there's no need to
go painting them. (Ditto plumbing compression fittings - they weren't
designed for and shouldn't need anything else - maybe that's just me ) ).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)