Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Paul M. Eldridge Paul M. Eldridge is offline

Default Home Depot Annouces CFL Recycling Programme

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:51:07 -0400, "daestrom"

In alt.engineering.electrical Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:

For all the panty-waists out there who whine about CFLs containing
mercury and, in particular, those who oppose the use of energy saving
lamps and advocate the construction of more coal-fired plants
instead:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/24/bu...ef=environment

What about long tube fluorescent lights that I also refuse to put in
my home
for the same reason?

Will they come out and do a full EPA-grade cleanup if a CFL (or FL)
breaks?

I've found tubes that are especially low mercury. So low, they are approved
for common trash disposal.

daestrom

Hi daestrom,

That's correct. In virtually all jurisdictions, lamps that pass
federal TCLP (Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure) regulations
can be disposed in the regular household trash just like any other
light bulb.

Cheers,
Paul