Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg evodawg is offline

Default Electrician Costs? Installing a ceiling fan with new electrical box.

cshenk wrote:

"evodawg" wrote

50$ maybe 75$ (Lowes charges 75$ each if doing multiples)

It would be better to get more estimates. There's either something
funny going on here that's making the price go way up, or the guy is a
rip-off.

I just had 2 fans done (attic access for both) for 50$ each.

So for 50.00 they put the fan together mounted a special ceiling fan
support
box ran wire down a wall for a new switch then up to the fan location,
put the necessary plug stops in box, installed 2 switches, and I assume
this included material. The guy that did this should have given you a
check.

You might want to ask questions if confused. These were replacements of
existing ones so there was no wiring, just replacement of fixture. As we
were talking labor costs, I listed only that. I had the fans I wanted in
a box ready for the fellow.

Yes, he added a better stabilizer in the attic as one of them rocked a
little. The kit cost about 20$ and Don helped put it in (one of those
jobs
that a second pair of hands is nice to have). This is an unfinished true
attic. You can stand up along the center line and we have considered
making
a spare room up there. Main problem is where to put a true stairwell as
the design below doesnt lead to that very easily.

Ok but your response to the original OP made it sound like they could have
all this work done as they described for 50 to 75 dollars. I didn't need a
reason to ask the question. I estimated the job as they called it in the
description and where I live this estimate would have been more than
reasonable per work described.

You, not knowing what your doing shouldn't really be giving advice except
for what you exactly had done in your situation. Which you clearly stated
after the fact. Sorry to be so blunt, but I call it the way I see it.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"