Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default H2O heater pressure relief pipe joins AC condensate drain?

On Jun 25, 5:51*am, "sinister" wrote:
Just closed on a house on Friday.

While examining the AC condensate drain, I noticed that the pipe coming from
the pressure relief valve on the hot water heater joins it. *(Actually, it
_used_ to join it; now that joint is completely loose.) *The condensate
drain pipe then travels another couple feet and drains into the pipe for the
clothes washer drain.

Is that a good idea? *Somehow I don't think so.

Condensate drain volume is relatively small and not under pressure so
it may be OK if the joint is simply loose and not allowing condensate
to drip on the floor.

Also, the pipe they used coming off the relief value is PVC not copper. *Is
that good?

If your building code allows it, there is no problem. Your City
Building Inspector will know; give him a call. HTH

Joe