Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Inexpensive but worthwhile wirefeed?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:49:02 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 16:21:41 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:40:07 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
How thick is the plate you can weld with it?

Are you MIGging bronze statues together? Cool! Pics, please.

Greetings Larry,
I have welded 3/8 steel plate but I pre-heated it first. Otherwise 1/4

Preheated to red hot so the weld bead doesn't chill and solidify too
quickly?

is what I consider the maximum. I know my 1/4 plate welds are good
because I tested welds in the press. I use silicon bronze for brazing
steel if brazing makes more sense than welding. I have brazed silicon
bronze sheet too but it was only 1/16 thick. The thickest aluminum
I've welded with the machine is 1/8.

You can MIG aluminum?!? (I _just_ picked up on that.)

I dropped my camera in the sand
and now it has a stuck lens system. When I figure out how to get the
last few parts out and cleaned I'll run some beads for you.

Thanks, Eric. I'd like that.

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren

Yeah, I can mig aluminum. But only up to 1/8. Mig for steel uses C25
mix while aluminum needs pure argon. As to pre-heat, only about 400
degrees or so for 3/8 steel. Ernie Leimkuhluer told me that even 1
inch plate can be welded if pre-heated.
Eric