Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default There was I, digging this 'ole...

On 25 Jun, 20:51, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
No I wasn't; I'm lying.

But I do want an 'ole dug, for a washing line pole. A big, heavy, iron
scaffold pole that wants going into the earth about two feet. What's the
best way to dig a scaffold pole 'ole? I did read about someone using water
from a hose pipe to dig a pole into the ground but it was lacking detail.

Any suggestions? What about a scaffold pole-sized drill bit? Is that
feasible?

Si

Is this a washing line pole or the pole for what I see is called a
"Rotary Airer" !

If it's for a line, I have my doubts that just thumping it into the
ground will give sturdy enough structure to withstand the sideways
pull of the washing on the line. That does require a reasonably
massive weight and the traditional solution was to dig a fairly large
hole and fill it with crude concrete with the said pole in the middle
of it. The ones I took out of my garden were nominal spheres and from
memory must have been at least 30 inches in diameter

For the rotary line, the solution is not that much different but the
hole is considerably smaller - an ordinary plastic bucket sunk in the
ground and again filled with concrete with the sleeve for the pole in
the middle.

Rob