Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
A. K. SEPUT A. K. SEPUT is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

"bud--" wrote in message
.. .
Daniel Who Wants to Know wrote:

Also I am no expert here but I think intermittent loads can exceed the
80% rule hence the 14 gauge cord which would normally only be good for 15
amps but is protected by a 20 amp fuse inside the oven and a 20 amp
double pole circuit breaker in the service panel.

.
The US NEC allows about any cord of 2 conductors (not including ground) to
be used at 18A. Most (all?) cords with type starting H (hard use) can be
used at 20A.

"for short period and with limited lenght"

The 80% rule is for continuous loads - over 3 hours.

--
bud--