Posted to alt.home.repair
sinister sinister is offline

Default A/C condensate drain

wrote in message
On Jun 24, 5:59 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"sinister" wrote in message
I need to get my A/C condensate drain/line fixed. (This is in an older
home I just purchased.)

I've got some questions:
(1) Is it true that this is work for an A/C guy, not a plumber? I called
a plumber, and he didn't want to do the work and said call an A/C guy.

IMO, neither as they are both skilled and expensive. This can be done by a
hanyman type of person. Or do it yourself.

(2) The plumber also said that the way the A/C condensate line/drain
should work is that it goes to the floor, and then some pump pumps it
out
of the house through a line going through the basement wall.

Very often done that way. Since I can't see your setup I can't say that is
the best way.

While I can see that

the current setup is dumb (condensate can't really drip into pipe when
the
hose from the washer is in place), is it true that someone can't just
add
another "branch" to the PVC pipe the washer is draining into, and have
the
condensate drain go into that?

Should work.

Except I'm not sure what code may say about piping it into the
sanitary sewer or septic system. For example, in many areas, code
won't allow you to put sump pump water into the sanitary sewer. Not
sure if there is any similar restriction on AC condensate. By far
most common is to just have it piped outside via some flexible
tubing. As Edwin pointed out, in most cases not hard at all to drill
a hole, but it does depend on what the construction is. If it's wood
frame construction, it's easy, if solid brick, then it's a different
story, but though harder can be done.

House is brick. (Home inspector said it's "brick veneer" when I asked him
for more detailed description for online home insurance application forms.)

But this is in the basement. Another, thicker line for exhaust from the
clothes dryer goes out---through cinder blocks, it looks like.