Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default Home Depot Annouces CFL Recycling Programme

In alt.engineering.electrical Paul M. Eldridge wrote:

| Although it varies by state, if we use the U.S. national average, the
| generation of those additional 6,100 kWhs would release 80 mg of Hg
| into the environment. At least with the fluorescent lamp, the 1.7 mg
| contained within can be recycled or properly disposed in a secure
| landfill (thereby potentially reducing our exposure to 0 mg) whereas
| the 80 mg of Hg released from the burning of coal indiscriminately
| pollutes our air, land and water.

But at least those other releases of Hg are not released in my house.

Hg is not by primary reason for avoiding fluorescent lights. But it is
one and would be the primary one if the light quality issue gets solved.

That's not to say I like the idea of releasing Hg into the air. For every
incandescent lamp used, we should depricate an equivalent amount of coal
burned. I'm all for building lots more solar/wind/hydro/nuclear capability
(provided it is done in the right way).