Posted to alt.home.repair
Moe Jones Moe Jones is offline

Default HVAC system

Art wrote:
"Moe Jones" wrote in message
Art wrote:
Just had a tech check out one of my 3 HVAC systems. When the house
was built the contractor switched outside units between the upstairs
and basement so upstairs was too hot. I had them switch out the
obviously wrong sized outside units. I asked them if anything
inside had to be switched out and they swore everything was ok
inside. Upstairs never cooled well but we were never used upstairs much
until now.
So I had someone come out today and told him the story. He says the
metering unit orifice (piston) is too small upstairs and needs to be
replaced with bigger one at a cost of $193 for the part and $533. I
just called another guy to come in for a second opinion but I was
wondering if the estimate sounds reasonable if indeed this is the
problem.
Thanks in advance for assistance.

I have a few questions:
1. What is the size (Tonnage) of the upstairs and basement condensing
units?
2. What is the size (Tonnage) of the upstairs and basement evaporator
coils?
3. Was the bid to replace the piston only or to replace the total
metering device?

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

I got some answers. Both inside units are idenditcal 2 ton units.
Basement outside unit is 1.5 tons. Upstairs outside unit is 2 tons.
According to the tech that was here today, it was common when my
house was built 10 years ago to use an oversized inside unit to
squeeze more efficiency out of the system on the small tonage outside
unit.
He washed outside coils and checked freon on all 3 systems. Basement
was slightly low. Upstairs was way low, taking about 3 pounds of
freon. None of these systems have been checked for8 years because
the guy I had come in to check them when the house was 2 years old
did nothing so I pretty much gave up on HVAC contractors. Plus we
hadn't been using the upstairs much until this summer.

The technician today's philosophy is (and I am sure many will
disagree) is the first time he adds freon to a system that hasn't
been serviced for such a long time, he will not try chasing down the
leak because he probably won't be able to find it unless it just
started leaking. He says if it warms up again upstairs, he will
chase down the leak but he suspects it is the inside coil and he says
carrier charges so much for that inside coil that I might be better
off replacing the outside unit too.
Right now things are plenty cool in the house.

He's right.
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info