Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dubosky[_2_] Dan Dubosky[_2_] is offline

Default Cell Phone -- What remains wet?

This is a postscript to my previous messages. In an effort to clearly
determine whether a continued wetness or a corrosive residue was the problem
in my cell phone's behavior, I conducted an experiment which seems to rule
out a corrosive residue on the surface of the board.

I cut out a small section of a circuit board which had two adjacent traces
and measured the resistance between them. It measured as an open circuit on
a meter that can measure tens of megohms. I then immersed the circuit
board in water which I took from the lake in which my cell phone had spent
about 15 minutes of time. The resistance measured between 22K to 28K Ohms.
I then applied 3.7 volts to the terminals of the circuit board for 15
minutes. Immeditaely after removing the voltage, the resistance measured an
open circuit but continued to drop rapidly until it reached the previous
value in the 20K ohm range. I then dried the circuit board, and in a very
short period of time, the measured resistance was again an open circuit. In
other words, there did not appear to be any evidence of a corrosive residue
on the surface of the board.

I should say that I did not use the same circuit board that is in the cell
phone. Perhaps the cell phone board is more porous and retained more of the
water with impurities. In addition, I took the water for the experiment
from the surface of the lake and not from the bottom, and the cell phone
board was subjected to a higher water pressure at a six foot depth.
Nevertheless, if I had to guess, I would say that pure alcohol as suggested
by some in this thead would probably have done the most good in correcting
the condition, and may in fact even improve the present state of the cell
phone if I could ever find some. The circuit board may in fact still be wet
to a small degree. It does not appear that the problem was a surface
corrosive residue produce by the battery voltage being applied to the cell
phone during its submersion.