Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Inexpensive but worthwhile wirefeed?

Ignoramus19021 wrote:
OK, maybe I am missing something, but why a gate cannot be fixed with
a stick welder?

I fixed a scrap truck gate (rear door) with a stick welder and the
result was quite acceptable. Looked good (7018) and is still holding
up fine.

The other door was repaired with a cheap MIG welder (not by me) and
actually failed utterly and looked like a goat pooped on the weld
area.

_I_ can't weld that thin of material with my Lincoln Tombstone.

I've welded material that size before with other stick welders, but that
was (a) when I was welding all the time and (b) with different, more
capable (and older and dustier) welders.

Perhaps if I filled this one up with fiberglass dust it would work
better; but I doubt it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services